murcia

Portal de Lorca

www.portaldelorca.com

Lorca - SpanishLorca - English
detail of Lorca

 

Agriculture studies the feasibility of growing a new Verna lemon in the municipality of Lorca (22/07/2019)

It is intended to serve as an incentive for producers in the area when making new plantings

The Ministry of Water, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries develops in the Center for Agricultural Demonstration (CDA) 'Purias' of Lorca an essay with lemon Verna, using clones 51 and 62, which are the latest and give fruits of better quality, without excessive caliber and with good conservation in the tree.

In the Region, production is expected this year of more than 670,000 tons of lemon, of which 136,000 tons are from Verna and the rest from Fino.

The Minister of Water, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries acting, Miguel Angel del Amor, visited this morning this trial, which was initiated in 2013, in the Integrated Center of Training and Agricultural Experiences (Cifea) of Lorca.

"The objective of this study is to provide producers of Guadalentín Valley with knowledge of the behavior of these new clones prior to the realization of new plantations."

Currently, 80 percent of the lemon production in the Region of Murcia comes from the Fino variety, "specifically Fino 49 in approximately 70 percent and the remaining 30 percent in Fino 75," explained Del Amor. It treats of a very productive variety, of excellent quality of fruit and good conservation.

The new Verna clones that are tested in the Purias Center come from the 'Citrus Genetic Improvement Program' developed by the Murcian Institute for Agricultural Research and Development and Food (IMIDA).

The aim is to cover the market niche that remains after the collection of the traditional clones of the Verna variety, before the harvest of the Fine lemon begins, thus achieving production all year round.

This initiative, included in the Rural Development Program 2014-20, has been co-financed by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (FEADER), the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and the Ministry of Water, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries.

Delivery of keys from the Agrarian Demonstration Center

The Community authorized last May the use of the agricultural demonstration centers of Purias, La Pilica and El Mirador, located in the municipalities of Lorca, Águilas and San Javier respectively, by non-profit entities with regional implantation for the purposes of public utility.

During the visit, the counselor delivered the keys of the Lorca CDA to the Food Foundation of the Mediterranean (Alimer).

Del Amor stressed that "in them, the Ministry develops training and technology transfer programs as an instrument for dissemination to farmers in the region, as innovative farming techniques, more sustainable and respectful of the environment."

In the case of the CDA 'El Mirador' of San Javier, it has been assigned to the companies San Cayetano, Gregal and Hortamira.

With respect to the CDA 'La Pilica' of Águilas, it has been granted to the Federation of agri-food cooperatives in the Region of Murcia (Fecamur).

Source: CARM

Notice
UNE-EN ISO 9001:2000 - ER-0131/2006 © 2019 Alamo Networks S.L. - C/Alamo 8, 30850 Totana (Murcia) Privacy policy - Legal notice Región de Murcia
Este sitio web utiliza cookies para facilitar y mejorar la navegación. Si continúas navegando, consideramos que aceptas su uso. Más información