murcia

Portal de Lorca

www.portaldelorca.com

Lorca - SpanishLorca - English
detail of Lorca

 

The restoration of the eighteenth-century church of San José planning to recover the original lighting of the church and its aisles (18/03/2011)

The study was funded by Cajamurcia.

The investment needed for the comprehensive rehabilitation of the Church of the popular neighborhood of around 727,000 euros Lorca.

Lorca's mayor, Francisco Jodar, this morning the project for the comprehensive restoration of the church of San José, located in the popular district of the same name.

The project has been funded by Cajamurcia provides that will require an investment of 726,824 euros.

The mayor has stated that "the restoration of the church of San José meets a wide local demand, which the City Council want to give a positive response. The recovery of our cultural heritage is a priority for action on culture, as has been demonstrated by the investments made for the restoration of temples as emblematic as the Santa Maria. It is recalled that the Church of San Jose was inaugurated in the early eighteenth century, specifically in 1711, with a facade of 1708. It is a rectangular temple extended by longitudinal growth of the cruise arm of the gospel side. It is divided into three naves (higher than the lateral plant) with equally identifiable cruise plan and elevation, reflecting and highlighting the cross on top of the transept arms. "

The mayor is anticipated that the works proposed in the planning for the first phase, which provides for improvements in the temple itself, leaving for later phases of the annexes on the premises.

The planned measures are

1) Full recovery inside the temple, in walls, as in vaults and floors.

2) Recovery of the two aisles now enclosed.

3) To solve the construction problems on ledges and walls, including the stitching of cracks and leaded in the encounters between the decks and walls.

4) Repair of moisture through withdrawal of soldiers and carrying ventilated sills (including archaeological supervision) with the ventilation duct and rear perimeter flooring all with marble from the area, mortars and air-entraining priolite paintings).

5) New finishes, carpentry and painting complete.

6) New installation of electricity, lighting and air conditioning.

7) New facilities and fire safety.

8) Recovery of natural lighting of the temple, especially those that probably existed in the north and south sides, including the recovery of walls and roofs.

Brief history of the temple and its elements.

This parish is known about many of the details of construction and ornamentation.

It is known that arose as a hermitage on the initiative of Luis Eugenio de Gumiel clerk and in 1706 the City was down a place to build.

Its facade, according to the time construction was finished in 1708 by the mason John Caro Serrano, and in 1711 became inaugural function carrying the Blessed Sacrament and the image of the owner who gave the mayor Juan Bazo.

Between 1751 and 1869 was considered adyutriz of San Mateo, losing such by the ruin and poverty that engulfed.

Between the late nineteenth and early twentieth regained its role through parish arrangements then launched, currently being parish.

Its architecture is in any type of medium-sized buildings that were undertaken in Lorca and other towns during the Baroque.

Single nave with side chapels attached, masonry structure is revoked in plaster and embraced by a few blocks of stone and brick chains.

The cover of carved stone is the only decorative element that highlights the smooth wall.

The exterior featured a drawing of a wooden beams that may respond to shoe boxes work, but is more likely to be only a decorative pattern that gave him a certain grace to the whole.

On the façade itself is located a small bell that gives some thinness to the whole.

The interior is covered with false plaster vaults and a brief architectural decoration.

The parish hosted a brotherhood of souls and some other particular cult, moving there in 1862 the brotherhood of Smo.

Cristo del Socorro, who then abandoned their traditional location in the church of the former Hospital de San Juan de Dios.

According to Escobar Barberan (1919) in the temple the following images: "The patriarch San Jose (natural size, a gift to this church by the Knights of Santiago D. Juan Bazo, mayor of Lorca). On April 19, 1711 was held great feast and procession to take this picture of San Jose to his said chapel, newly built at the initiative of a notary public of this issue Luis Eugenio de Gumiel and especially Miguel de Campos. Virgen de las Nieves - Virgen del Rosario (Roque López) - St. Augustine - and San Antonio de Padua (small). "

Current state of the church.

The church of San José has a domed roof lantern or lunettes closed without windows or exterior lighting to provide it on the cruise, while the central nave is covered with a barrel vault and two aisles are currently blocked and used spurious applications.

The sanctuary is covered by a raised section of roof edge to the left of the sanctuary is a room used as a vestry, and a huge expansion of the transept of this side.

The temple tower is located on the chorus on the main facade.

At the foot has a raised choir above the main entrance which is accessed via a side staircase of local gospel side.

The division of the plant is resolved by four central pillars, over the perimeter walls which display the stone arches to the cornice level, presumably still under the original pillars dividing the space of three bays (central and lateral) .

The church is currently painted white and shades of stone type on cornices, arches and pillars.

According to the project presumably would have a variety of color tones, so probably they meant the moldings of the cornice, the outbursts of the central pillars, arches, window and door jambs, etc.

and now have been masked.

The current flooring is made of marble pieces and stairs in soft tones, all with specific loss of cohesion between the material and consequently, small divestitures, cracks, or bufamientos decompositions.

The cover is preserved, at first glance, in apparent good condition, although the shallow draft proposes actions on vertical walls, overhangs and files, by placing pesebrones, sobrebaberos and eaves of lead.

With respect to other adjacent industrial premises, this is a building attached to the temple, where several units have been built upstairs and a large central courtyard complete with space frame roof trusses and covering of corrugated metal.

Source: Ayuntamiento de Lorca

Notice
UNE-EN ISO 9001:2000 - ER-0131/2006 © 2018 Alamo Networks S.L. - C/Alamo 8, 30850 Totana (Murcia) Privacy policy - Legal notice Región de Murcia
Este sitio web utiliza cookies para facilitar y mejorar la navegación. Si continúas navegando, consideramos que aceptas su uso. Más información